common method to count traffic volume on IX

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 16:11:23 UTC 2013

Thanks for all the replies!

Nick,

counting traffic on inter-switch links is kind of cheating, isn't it?
I mean if "input bytes" and "output bytes" on all the ports facing the
IX members are already counted, then counting traffic on links between
the switches in fabric will count some of the traffic multiple times.

Patrick,

how does smaller sampling period help to show more traffic volume on
switch fabric? Or do you mean that in case of shorter sampling periods
the traffic peaks are not averaged out and thus peak in and peak out
traffic levels remain higher?

regards,
Martin