common method to count traffic volume on IX

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Sep 17 13:43:35 UTC 2013

On Sep 17, 2013, at 07:02 , Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
> On 17/09/2013 11:52, Martin T wrote:

>> Is there a common method to count this traffic on a switch-fabric?
>> Just read all the switch interface "packets input" counters with an
>> interval to get the aggregated input traffic and read all the switch
>> interfaces "packets output" counters to get the aggregated output
>> traffic?
>
> most IXPs count this as the sum of all ingress packets over a period of 300
> seconds.  A small number of IXPs do different stuff, e.g. different
> sampling interval or counting traffic on inter-switch links.

I am unaware of any IXP that uses a smaller sampling period (presumably in an attempt to make their IXP look bigger) other than DE-CIX.

Is there another one?

And yes, DE-CIX is more than well aware everyone thinks this is .. uh .. let's just call it "silly" for now, although most would use far more disparaging words. Which is probably why no serious IXP does it.

--
TTFN,
patrick