DNS Reliability

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Fri Sep 13 20:15:09 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 04:01:51PM -0400, Jean-Francois Mezei wrote:
> On 13-09-12 21:53, Larry Sheldon wrote:
>
> > I expect 100.000%
> >
> > I'll accept 99.999% or better.
>
> At these numbers, one has to start to count failover time. A "system"
> can be disaster tolerant but take 2 hours to recover fully, or it could
> also recover within a couple of seconds. It depends on architecture and
> available services. And in networking, you also need to consider
> internal and external routing update propagation times.

	from where?  to where?  what % of the Internet is _not_ reachable
	from my DNS service at any given time?  why is that acceptable?
	and more importantly, who's job is it to fix/stablize the net so
	these "remote" locations can reach my DNS service?

	"we will answer 100% of the valid DNS queries we receive."

/bill