Internet Surveillance and Boomerang Routing: A Call for Canadian Network Sovereignty

Allen McKinley Kitchen (gmail) allenmckinleykitchen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 15:22:42 UTC 2013

I'm confident that someone else may point this out, but I feel this is important enough to weigh in on .. Respectfully, I must disagree with any philosophy that perpetuates the archaic concept of political boundaries in the context of information flow.

Calling it "stupid" to send traffic on any particular route because that route crosses political boundaries reflects a surrender to an old way of thought. While I can agree that the fact of crossing political boundaries introduces a very unwelcome artifact of exposing that traffic to adverse political effects, that doesn't mean that the desirable response is one of returning to nationalistic silos. Instead, the way forward is to protect the traffic rather than the boundaries.

Due to political realities, that may indeed mean that a intra-national backup path is necessary. But to my mind, what's "just not good Internet" is the artificial restriction of traffic to solely intra-national primary paths. That mindset reflects a territoriality that's not our friend; I still dream of a fully interconnected world.

So, I respectfully suggest that we work on fixing the problems and vulnerabilities that arise from the interconnectedness rather than hunkering down and fragmenting / forking. Yes, these are shameful and terrible problems that have come to our attention right now; still, we can move forward better together than apart, don't you think?

..Allen