Internet Surveillance and Boomerang Routing: A Call for Canadian Network Sovereignty

Wayne E Bouchard web at typo.org
Sat Sep 7 23:45:19 UTC 2013

It's a good point to consider however that omits the probabilty that
Canada is doing exactly the same thing as the U.S. and thus this may
free you from certain legalities but does not actually ensure privacy.
The other fact of this is that we are well aware that the NSA's
database is being accessed freely by (at the very least) England and
Australia (I think that's who I read) I believe with reciprical
agreements and I'd be shocked if Canada isn't in there too. What are
the ramifications of that? Do we even know?

Points to ponder...

-Wayne

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 02:08:31PM -0700, Paul Ferguson wrote:

> A Canadian ISP colleague of mine suggested that the NANOG constituency
> might be interested in this, given some recent 'revelations', so I
> forward it here for you perusal.
>

> "Preliminary analysis of more than 25,000 traceroutes reveals a
> phenomenon we call ?boomerang routing? whereby Canadian-to-Canadian
> internet transmissions are routinely routed through the United States.
> Canadian originated transmissions that travel to a Canadian destination
> via a U.S. switching centre or carrier are subject to U.S. law -
> including the USA Patriot Act and FISAA. As a result, these
> transmissions expose Canadians to potential U.S. surveillance activities
> ? a violation of Canadian network sovereignty."
>
> http://lawprofessors.typepad.com/media_law_prof_blog/2013/09/routing-internet-transmission-across-the-canada-us-border-and-us-surveillance-activities.html
>
> Cheers,
>
> - ferg
>

> --
> Paul Ferguson
> Vice President, Threat Intelligence
> Internet Identity, Tacoma, Washington  USA
> IID --> "Connect and Collaborate" --> www.internetidentity.com

---
Wayne Bouchard
web at typo.org