The US government has betrayed the Internet. We need to take it back

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Fri Sep 6 18:13:00 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 7:23 AM, Sam Moats <sam at circlenet.us> wrote:

> Below is a sample banner (IS is information System)
>
> By using this IS (which includes any device attached to this IS), you
> consent to the following conditions:
>
> -The USG routinely intercepts and monitors communications on this IS for
> purposes including, but not limited to, penetration testing, COMSEC
> monitoring, network operations and defense, personnel misconduct (PM), law
> enforcement (LE), and counterintelligence (CI) investigations.
>
> -At any time, the USG may inspect and seize data stored on this IS.
>
> -Communications using, or data stored on, this IS are not private, are
> subject to routine monitoring, interception, and search, and may be
> disclosed or used for any USG authorized purpose.
>
> -This IS includes security measures (e.g., authentication and access
> controls) to protect USG interests--not for your personal benefit or
> privacy.
>
> -Notwithstanding the above, using this IS does not constitute consent to
> PM, LE or CI investigative searching or monitoring of the content of
> privileged communications, or work product, related to personal
> representation or services by attorneys, psychotherapists, or clergy, and
> their assistants. Such communications and work product are private and
> confidential.
>

> Sam

Ah.  So, if we all become ordained ministers, our communications
become privileged communications not subject to monitoring by
the US government?

Matt
(spoken mostly tongue-in-cheek; but it would be fun to see
the government go up against the religious right on the
question of whether the government has the right to
violate the seal of the confessional and monitor layperson
communications with their clergy...)