The US government has betrayed the Internet. We need to take it back

Nicolai nicolai-nanog at chocolatine.org
Fri Sep 6 17:20:05 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 02:27:32PM +0000, Naslund, Steve wrote:

> If everyone cancelled their gmail accounts, stopped using Google search,
> and stopped paying for Google placement and ads, their stock would go to
> zero nearly overnight.  Again, no one seems to care about the issue
> enough to do this because I have seen no appreciable backlash against
> these companies.

I think Joe 6mbps sitting at home reads that everything he uses has been
subverted.  He doesn't know what alternatives exist, and doesn't have
the technical knowledge neccessary to find them on his own.  And faced
with a false choice -- stop using the Internet, or continue using it as
he knows how -- he chooses the one that retains his ability to
communicate with family and friends and keep up on the things he cares
about.

Schneier is saying we need to build better options for Joe 6mbps,
competing with the PRISM-compatable services, so that privacy-respecting
services become known and commonplace.

Nicolai