The US government has betrayed the Internet. We need to take it back

Sam Moats sam at circlenet.us
Fri Sep 6 14:23:11 UTC 2013

I don't suggest a riot. I do believe in the rule of law, as a member of
a democracy
I need to accept that I will not always agree with the laws that are
enacted. If we
lived in China or somewhere else where there was no method to change
laws that were
unfair or unjust then yea I would support the civil disobiedence
approach whole heartedly

I do love my country, always have and I firmly believe in the concept
of government
by the consent of the governed. These rules were made by the people we
choose, perhaps
these were bad choices but they were are collective choices.

Perhaps we should educate our user base so that in the future they make
better choices.
I suggest in an only half snarky way we just push out the standard DOD
warning banner
to them all. Since it now seems to apply...

Below is a sample banner (IS is information System)

By using this IS (which includes any device attached to this IS), you
consent to the following conditions:

-The USG routinely intercepts and monitors communications on this IS
for purposes including, but not limited to, penetration testing, COMSEC
monitoring, network operations and defense, personnel misconduct (PM),
law enforcement (LE), and counterintelligence (CI) investigations.

-At any time, the USG may inspect and seize data stored on this IS.

-Communications using, or data stored on, this IS are not private, are
subject to routine monitoring, interception, and search, and may be
disclosed or used for any USG authorized purpose.

-This IS includes security measures (e.g., authentication and access
controls) to protect USG interests--not for your personal benefit or
privacy.

-Notwithstanding the above, using this IS does not constitute consent
to PM, LE or CI investigative searching or monitoring of the content of
privileged communications, or work product, related to personal
representation or services by attorneys, psychotherapists, or clergy,
and their assistants. Such communications and work product are private
and confidential.

Sam