Reverse DNS RFCs and Recommendations

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Oct 31 23:15:50 UTC 2013

On 10/30/2013 9:55 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> As I think I've said before on this list, when we tried to get
> consensus on that claim in the DNSOP WG at the IETF, we couldn't.
> Indeed, we couldn't even get consensus on the much more bland
> statement, "Some people rely on the reverse, and you might want to
> take that into consideration when running your services."
>
> Now, IETF non-consensus on the way the Internet works is hardly a
> surprise, but I thought I'd point this out just in case people want to
> be prepared for flames from people who feel strongly about the matter.

I'm beginning to think that documenting failures to get consensus could
be almost as important as documenting successes, in order to provide a
basis for countering folks who claim something is required, when there's
explicit public experience that it isn't.

Looks to me that Andrew's note is an example of that potential benefit.
  Rather than having to have someone remember this stuff, anyone could
point to the 'failure' document.

d/

--
Dave Crocker