Upstream / Handoff UPS?

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Thu Oct 31 05:52:56 UTC 2013

On 10/30/13, 10:34 PM, Kenny Kant wrote:
> Am I wrong to think that the demarc from the provider is a sacred thing
> that should only be touched by said provider.  Thus they should provide
> their own battery system?  Is it normal for this equipment not to be
> battery protected?  We are not dealing with any crazy SLA's however I think
> it would be standard build practice to put UPS's on your gear.  Even if its
> small handoff switch sitting right next to my switch.

It is normal. They don't have to so it's your problem if you want to.
Their site spec docs probably say as much, AT&T's certainly did.
Customer provides AC power or somesuch; that can be straight utility or
off a UPS you maintain, but they're not going to maintain batteries for
you if they don't have to. Some diverse ring OC-x that came with a DC
battery plant where they were mandated to have X hours runtime on it is
a different era than today's "toss an Ethernet switch on the end of some
fiber" circuits.

~Seth