Upstream / Handoff UPS?

Kenny Kant akennykant at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 05:34:39 UTC 2013

We have tons of circuits with various providers.  Often times the demarc /
handoff switch from the provider is not running on battery backup.
 Sometimes if the demarc device is located in the same room as our
equipment we mitigate this and plug the device into our backup systems.

Am I wrong to think that the demarc from the provider is a sacred thing
that should only be touched by said provider.  Thus they should provide
their own battery system?  Is it normal for this equipment not to be
battery protected?  We are not dealing with any crazy SLA's however I think
it would be standard build practice to put UPS's on your gear.  Even if its
small handoff switch sitting right next to my switch.

:)

Kenny