If you're on LinkedIn, and you use a smart phone...

Gary Baribault gary at baribault.net
Sun Oct 27 21:07:03 UTC 2013

It's opt-in in that if you bother to read the 240,405 pager of the
agreement when you install the 'upgrade' software, then you have in fact
opted in .. so legally (IANAL) you have opted in. BS!

Gary B

Gary Baribault
Courriel: gary at baribault.net
GPG Key: 0x685430d1
Fingerprint: 9E4D 1B7C CB9F 9239 11D9 71C3 6C35 C6B7 6854 30D1

On 10/26/2013 04:23 PM, Scott Howard wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Gary Baribault <gary at baribault.net <mailto:gary at baribault.net>> wrote:
>
>     The other difference is that Google tells you up front, LinkedIn
>     installed this out of the bleue without any real permissions. Of
course
>     if this where an opt in thing, nobody would be opting in! Well, I
never
>     did install their app and most certainly never will, and am
telling all
>     of my friends about this as well.
>

> Have you actually confirmed it's NOT opt-in?  The screenshots on the
Linked-in engineering blog referenced earlier certainly make it look
like it is.

> http://engineering.linkedin.com/sites/default/files/intro_installer_0.png
>
> Of course, you could argue there's a difference between opting-in for
"enhancing your email with Intro" and opting-in for "Please MITM all of
my email and dynamic modify it", but that's really just semantics - it
definitely appears to be opt-in.