If you're on LinkedIn, and you use a smart phone...

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Sat Oct 26 20:23:15 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM, Gary Baribault <gary at baribault.net> wrote:

> The other difference is that Google tells you up front, LinkedIn
> installed this out of the bleue without any real permissions. Of course
> if this where an opt in thing, nobody would be opting in! Well, I never
> did install their app and most certainly never will, and am telling all
> of my friends about this as well.

Have you actually confirmed it's NOT opt-in?  The screenshots on the
Linked-in engineering blog referenced earlier certainly make it look like
it is.

http://engineering.linkedin.com/sites/default/files/intro_installer_0.png

Of course, you could argue there's a difference between opting-in for
"enhancing your email with Intro" and opting-in for "Please MITM all of my
email and dynamic modify it", but that's really just semantics - it
definitely appears to be opt-in.

  Scott