Network configuration archiving

Phil Bedard bedard.phil at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 18:27:35 UTC 2013

The vendor config->abstract data (really structured data) is the point of
YANG definitions.  I think I'm correct but Tail-F's system works by
importing the YANG definitions from the router and it builds the CLI
interpreter based on those definitions.  The trick is getting the
standards bodies and vendors to support common definitions for common
protocols like they sorta have with SNMP.  So when I need to put a route
on a router it's the same common definition and I guess the pie in the sky
goal is then using common NETCONF syntax as well to do the configuration.
So the router itself is doing the translation into whatever native format
it uses, not someone having to write translation scripts which are a PITA
when vendor syntax changes, or some new feature is added, etc.

Phil