Network configuration archiving

Raymond Burkholder ray at oneunified.net
Fri Oct 25 15:15:07 UTC 2013

> I am unsure what we as networkers have done in the past, but I am sure
> we've done our fair share of atonement and don't have to keep using
> RANCID.

Some people in this thread have been mentioning config generators.  There is
/ was something called netomata.  A web search brings up various references,
but their main web site appears to be offline.   Tweets stopped back in '10,
freecode.com's last submission is Jan 2011, so I don't know if they are
still alive.  But seemed like an interesting tool then.

> Some might say "it took ages to get rancid to do kinda what we want!",
> but not all software ages well. One might work in environments where
> archived configurations are needed to even start provisioning, one
> might desire a separation between actual config and transcient data.
>
> As I am evaluating our path forward, I've compiled a small list of open
> source projects with some biased highlights. Your feedback is most
> welcome, maybe I missed some interesting projects or developments. I
> would also be very interested in what other operators seek in a network
> config/state archive tool.
>
> RANCID - http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/
>     * Support for a wild variery of devices and operating systems
>     * complex perl code base [1]
>     * no central developer team, the internet is littered with forks
>
> Oxidized - https://github.com/ytti/oxidized
>     * modern & sexy approach with queue & workers
>     * RESTful API (example: can bump devices to the head of the queue)
>     * small user & developer base
>     * written in that ruby language
>
> Gerty - https://github.com/ssinyagin/gerty
>     * Seems easier to extend than RANCID
>     * perl...
>     * small user & developer base
>
> punc - https://code.google.com/p/punc/
>     * written in python, based on notch [2]
>     * no recent developments (although 2011 was a good wine year)
>
> [1] - http://honestnetworker.wordpress.com/2013/06/28/adding-new-
> device-support-to-rancid/
> [2] - https://code.google.com/p/notch/
>
> Kind regards,