Network configuration archiving

Christopher Rogers phiber at phiber.org
Fri Oct 25 04:19:08 UTC 2013

Rancid is great, we use it.  It's hard to justify paying money for
something that really isn't that complicated, especially stupid licensing
fees.

One of my problems with rancid though is that many of the commands it runs
can be somewhat intrusive, and also smacks of trying to use a configuration
management system as an active monitoring tool.

Go into the commandtable entries for your various devices, and remove
everything except the show running-config bits (or whatever your $vendor
uses) and you'll run into a lot less risk of blowing a device up with
rancid, also a lot quicker execution times.

Or just remove rancid entirely, and just ssh show running-config (using rsa
keys) on your devices and dump the output into cvs/svn/whatever.  Not
everything has ssh though.  :(

-chris