Point to Point Ethernet request

Crist Clark cjc+nanog at pumpky.net
Thu Oct 24 06:12:54 UTC 2013

Got 10 GbE service from a data center in Santa Clara to a campus in San
Mateo California from Comcast. Been pretty solid. Only blips have been
anounced maintenance. When I have contacted support, I really can't
complain.

It's L2. I see my BPDUs and LLDPDUs come through.

So, yeah, it exists.

Related, maybe:

Has anyone actually seen Comcast's "ethernet" service? This is
advertised as a symmetrical, high-speed (100mb+?) business service not
consumer stuff.

I called several times out of curiosity. Using the phone number for
this service on their website got me switched around several times by
people who seemed to barely know what I was talking about.

One wanted to engage me in a debate about why asymmetrical 20/7
(whatever it was) isn't good enough I assume because that's all she
was involved with so I muttered something about routing net blocks etc
so she gave up and switched me again. Fine.

Then I'd finally get someone who seemed reasonable, seemed to know
what I was asking about, took down my call back info and promised
someone would get back to me within one business day.

Never got a callback. Tried this a few times, same result.

So, does it exist?

I suppose if sales won't call you back you have to wonder what support
would be like.

P.S. Their website for this service invites you to enter your address
to see if it's available and assures me it is, that's where you get
the phone number to call sales.

--
        -Barry Shein

The World              | bzs at TheWorld.com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR,
Canada