ipv6 and geolocation

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Tue Oct 22 19:21:56 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-22, at 15:16, Blair Trosper <blair.trosper at gmail.com> wrote:

> Everyone loves IPv6, and it's a fantastic technology.  However, I've been
> pondering a few quirks of v6, including the low priority of PTR,

Not sure what that means, but...

> but I have a question I want to throw out there:
>
> Do you think IPv6 geolocatoin (GeoIP) will ever be viable?

To me it seems like an easier problem to solve than IPv4. There's no historical assignment swamp. Subnets are of fixed size. Many/most organisations who receive a direct assignment will never need a second.

> If so, when do you think this will happen?

As soon as enough people using geo-located services start doing so over v6.

Joe