Fundamental questions of backbone design

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Oct 20 14:55:43 UTC 2013

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 12:43:49 -0700, Matthew Petach said:

> Think about it; if network A prepends 10x to network B, and not at all to
> network C; but network B is a free peer of mine, and network C is a transit
> network I pay money to; following the typical convention of "routes learned
> from network B get localpref'd to 5000, routes learned from transit are
> localpref'd at 1000", you'd end up pushing the traffic along the 10x prepended
> pathway.

Thanks.  Due to the way our private peering works, the only routes we learn
from our "network B"'s are ones that wouldn't prepend because they want to talk
to us over the peer.  So all our prepends show up via our C's.  And I was
insuffiently caffienated to consider the case that we'd see prepends on our B
side...