Pad 1310nm cross-connects?

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sun Oct 20 01:24:01 UTC 2013

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013, Chris Costa wrote:

> What are the opinions/views on attenuating short, 1310nm LR cross-connects.
> Assume < 20m cable length and utilizing the same vendor optics on each
> side of the link.  Considering the LR transmit spec doesn't exceed the
> receiver's high threshold value do you pad the receiver closer to the
> median RX range to avoid potential receiver burnout over time, or just
> leave it un-padded?

If this is using Cisco 10GBASE-LR optics, then padding in this instance
should not be necessary.  However, if SR optics (again, assuming these are
Cisco devices), would be a better fit for the distance, using an OM3 or
OM4 multimode jumper.

The reason I asked about the vendor is because things like SR and LR can
mean different things to different vendors.

jms