In Over My Head -- What do I need to setup a tiny ISP?

Notify Me notify.sina at gmail.com
Sat Oct 19 19:57:18 UTC 2013

Hi,

Please allow me to apologize profusely if my post is offensive, or in error.
I have been lurking on this list watching and learning from all the great
posts here and am in awe of everyone here. I can only hope one day to be as
knowledgeable as anyone on this list.

That being said, some people who have a lot more faith in my abilities than
I do seem to think I am the go-to guy for network information. And they
foolishly asked me for assistance in putting together a small ISP network
which is supposed to cater for home users inside of a residential area,
very likely wireless (wifi/WIMAX).

I have no idea what the nuts and bolts of this kind of setup are. All I
have in my toolbox are some hastily learnt CCNA lingo, a good knowledge of
networks, system and network admin experience, and a deep love of open
source software.

I'm hoping the great gurus on this site can advise me on what needs to be
put together ( infrastructure, AAA, billing, etc) for this to run?

I confess I am really interested in helping my questioners put this
together, not just for whatever material gain (which is unlikely at this
point), but just for the experience which is very valuable to me. I also
have to state that I live in Nigeria, so whatever advice you offer has to
be fourth-world applicable.

I humbly await your kind responses, and I apologize once again if I am in
error.

Thanks for listening!