comcast ipv6 PTR

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Oct 15 21:42:09 UTC 2013

In message <574B5044-E7C5-4EF0-AC67-BE1F3E5EE105 at bogus.com>, joel jaeggli write
s:

> On Oct 15, 2013, at 7:26 AM, John R. Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>
> >> Actually you just need to *let* the hosts update their own ptr
> >> records using UPDATE.
> >

> I don't think that any host out there should be updating the PTR record
> associated with the privacy address it's using for outgoing connections.
> if the provider the prefix is delgated to respond with a genric RR well
> fine. but I doubt very much that there would be any circumstances where
> you'd want hosts doing PTR updates for addresses they're only using
> because their slaac address is a form of information leakage.

Why don't you let the USER decide whether privacy addresses get PTR
records or not.  This is a policy decision for the USER not IETF,
NANOG or any other body including the manufacturer.  It might default
off but that should be the end of it.

This is about ALLOWING them to do it.  Not REQUIRING them to do it.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org