comcast ipv6 PTR

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Tue Oct 15 19:48:09 UTC 2013

On October 15, 2013 at 13:55 cma at cmadams.net (Chris Adams) wrote:

 > Random end users shouldn't be talking to MTAs.  They should be using
 > MSAs instead.

That's a policy decision, some allow this, some resist it.

It's too bad that we've created this exclusive club of the anointed
who may speak to MTAs just because of some bad actors. It's not like
the basic idea is particularly a bad one.

An ideal I'd prefer is get rid of the botnets and similar through
other means, improving client technology and increasing the likelihood
of arrest of those who exploit them for example.

What's occurring is that the same factors which led to the mass
spammers is now, more and more, drawing in what might be termed
"legitimate" businesses. And we're tending to use our sense of social
class to distinguish which is which, not (IMHO) a good trend.

But what business can resist the siren call of postage-free (i.e.,
nearly free) marcom with their customers?

Particularly where there are millions of customers. Talk to them every
day, twice a day, ten times a day! Whatever it takes, apply for this
credit card, donate to this worthy cause, lowest prices on vacations
in Maui, new book available...

The result?

I think people just ignore most email and tend towards very exclusive
whitelisting one way or another (human or scripted.) But what the
heck, it's free! Keep that bilge pump running.

MarCom too cheap to meter!

Now there's a policy issue.

It's gotten so you can barely hear the spam over the roar of the
("legitimate") marcom.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada