comcast ipv6 PTR

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Tue Oct 15 18:40:22 UTC 2013

On October 15, 2013 at 15:54 marka at isc.org (Mark Andrews) wrote:

 > Actually you just need to *let* the hosts update their own ptr
 > records using UPDATE.

Well, that's an interesting proposal and worthwhile considering.

I proposed something vaguely similar vis a vis WHOIS recently (it's
not entirely original with me), just put it a URL (or similar) in an
RR which when queried will return whatever WHOIS info the owner of the
domain wants to return, including nothing. Something like:

      IN RRR  http://www.example.com/whois

where RRR is TBD. Could even be a mailto, for example, or anything,
the info in place even if it's brief.

Someone back I think in 2001 proposed using the SRV RR for this, it's
maybe a little awkward in format but same idea basically.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada