comcast ipv6 PTR

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Tue Oct 15 15:13:10 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-15, at 10:57, Bjørn Mork <bjorn at mork.no> wrote:

> Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> writes:
>
>> People keep saying the PTR records don't mean anything yet still
>> demand really strong authentication for updates of PTR records.
>> TCP is more than a strong enough authenticator to support update
>> from self.
>
> This sounded like an excellent idea at first, but then I started
> thinking:  As a home user, would I really want to give anyone with
> access to my network the right to change my reverse delegation?

I think what you'd be doing is giving anybody you have assigned an IPv6 address to the ability to update the PTR (or a delegation, since Mark suggested that too) for that particular address.

So, it's not "my reverse delegation", it's "my 2^80 or fewer reverse delegations" (if you've been assigned a /48).

Joe