comcast ipv6 PTR

Tim Franklin tim at pelican.org
Tue Oct 15 14:55:27 UTC 2013

> My cable company assigns me a different prefix every time the modem
> reboots, about once a month, and I think that's pretty typical.

Seems pretty dismal to me.  Wasn't a big win of IPv6 supposed to be that we could do things over without making all the same stupid mistakes we made in IPv4?  Dynamic IPv4 assignment was always a hang-over from dial-up days when $ADDRESS_POOL_SIZE == $MODEM_POOL_SIZE < $SUBSCRIBER_BASE, coupled eventually with a restricted supply of addresses.  We insisted on dragging it into the broadband world where the number of active connections is pretty much 1:1 with the number of paying subscribers; must we really drag the same old baggage into the IPv6 future?

Regards,
Tim.