comcast ipv6 PTR

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Oct 10 02:01:27 UTC 2013

>If people really want to use generic reverse names and have realised
>that the v6 address space is much too big for $GENERATE, one approach is
>to delegate the appropriate zones to a custom nameserver that can
>auto-generate PTRs on demand. There are scaling problems here, but
>probably nothing that can't be fixed with high TTLs and multiple
>nameservers.

In my discussions with people at some big ISPs, I got the impression
that they could do that, but it wouldn't provide any more useful
information than no rDNS at all, so they don't.  I'm on T-W cable,
and there's no way for me to set rDNS.  It'd be more trouble than
it's worth, since my /64 changes every time the modem reboots
which seems to be about once a month.

Real servers on static addresses are different, of course.  My servers
are on an HE tunnel, and all have matching forward and reverse DNS.

R's,
John