comcast ipv6 PTR

Andrew Sullivan asullivan at dyn.com
Wed Oct 9 16:58:45 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 11:35:16AM -0500, Blair Trosper wrote:
> Does anyone know why (or can someone from Comcast explain why) there is no
> PTR on their residential/business IPv6 addresses?

Probably because of the considerations in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-howard-isp-ip6rdns-06.  I seem to
remember someone showing up in DNSOP one time to argue for a draft
that the reverse mapping should just be optional under IPv6, but I
can't lay my hands on the draft.  The last time DNSOP tried to come up
with recommendations about the reverse tree, the resulting document
was
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-reverse-mapping-considerations-06.
It says, roughly, "Well, some peple use the reverse tree and some
don't.  You might want to think about that, or not."  Despite
asserting a version of "A or not-A", we were unable to achieve
consensus, so I think the hope of consistency in the reverse tree is
not supported by operational evidence.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
Dyn, Inc.