apt-mirror near ashburn

Robert Drake rdrake at direcpath.com
Mon Oct 7 16:12:33 UTC 2013

On 10/7/2013 11:16 AM, Michael Shuler wrote:
> Ubuntu != Debian
http://askubuntu.com/questions/157840/why-does-apt-get-fail-to-resolve-the-mirror

Apparently mirrors.ubuntu.com picks a mirror based on geographical
location using lines like this:

|deb mirror://mirrors.ubuntu.com/mirrors.txt precise main restricted universe multiverse
deb mirror://mirrors.ubuntu.com/mirrors.txt precise-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb mirror://mirrors.ubuntu.com/mirrors.txt precise-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb mirror://mirrors.ubuntu.com/mirrors.txt precise-security main restricted universe multiverse

I'm not sure how good it is at picking a mirror though.  ubuntu seems to make a mess of the sources.list
file and makes it scary to change.  I always leave it with the mirror I chose during install.

This:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SourcesList

Says you can pick "Select Best Server" from a menu.  That would probably work okay if it's not a headless box.