Regarding source based outbound routing (with redundancy)

joel jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sat Oct 5 18:55:09 UTC 2013

On Oct 5, 2013, at 11:43 AM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM, joel jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 5, 2013, at 9:45 AM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> you really don't want to do policy routing :(
>>>

>> PBR has this tendency to be brittle in the face of topology changes.
>
> yup, exactly my point :(
>
>> There are much better way to outbound load-balance between providers offering same or similar quality routes to the same destination.
>>
>> multi-AS multipath will do that if the peers are on the same router. BGPaddpath
>> can do it for you if the peers are spread across routers.
>
> these both will require seeing the longer prefix from the right peer
> though, right? and selecting that would just be like natural selection
> anyway…

so at this level if I can install two best paths in the fib then great I'll just hash flows between them… this does nothing for source based path selection but it does a lot for load-balancing between peers especially if there's substantial overlap of equidistant paths. If you have say 2914/3356 and you look at the amount of traffic that you can load-balance between them instead of simply tie-breaking on router-id or however far do your path algorythm you get, it's significant enough to matter.

> yikes, I suppose you could:
>  1) generate the longer prefix internally
>  2) set it's next-hop to something reachable out both (all) peers
>  3) metric the preferred peer's next-hop appropriately
>  4) profit
>
> but that sounds also kind of messy and prone to odd failures when
> changes are made :(

I go for the low hanging fruit, which is better usage of the information I already have.