minimum IPv6 announcement size

Cutler James R james.cutler at consultant.com
Tue Oct 1 20:45:09 UTC 2013

I try not to think about sinners too much when planning networks. Subnets are more interesting.

Maybe many of you like spending time maintaining NAT configurations and creatively masking as determined by today's end system count on each subnet. This all, of course, in the interest of maximum address assignment efficiency, a term of only the most nebulous definition.

Hogwash, I say.  The days of counting end systems in order to determine addressing is GONE. And I, for one, am much pleased.

Let's optimize the person instead of micro-optimizing bits.  Count the subnets you really think you need, shift one or two bits left, and ask for /whatever as described by Owen.  "many many years" is probably multiples of the two decades or so of IPv4 we have experienced.

Continuing arguments on NANOG and elsewhere about /64 - Good or Bad - check one, are just wasting your time and mine. Get yourself into action and just get IPv6 deployed.

Owen has the right of it.

	Cutler