minimum IPv6 announcement size

Ryan McIntosh rmcintosh at nitemare.net
Tue Oct 1 19:11:39 UTC 2013

I'd love to be able to turn the microwave and oven on with my phone..
maybe ten years from now lol..

In all seriousness though (and after skimming some of the other
conserving memory on our routers for the sake of the future of bgp and
internal routing. The problem I described has nothing to do with that
however, I was mearly pointing out the fact that the basis of the
larger allocations are based upon the fact we're handing over /64's to
each vlan/point to point/lan/etc that we're turning up. In practice, I
understand, a /64 means that 64 bits can handle a unique ip for every
host without having to worry about numbering them, but how many hosts
do we truly think will be sitting on one network? Surely not a /64's
worth, that alone would cause havoc on a neighbor table's maximum
memory limit. Maybe I'm missing the connection here, but I still don't
see how a /64 is justified for each individual user/host/server/etc
sitting on the edge of the internet that's getting ip's from an
upstream provider (not arin/ripe/etc).

It's those smaller blocks that justify handing over larger ones, which
I do understand there's plenty of, but how long are we going to patch
the same problem and not try to fix it right?

Ryan