DOCSIS 3.0 and Multicast

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Fri Nov 29 19:38:34 UTC 2013

Phil,

Arbitrarily turning uni-cast traffic into multi-cast won't do much in that
regard.  If the end points that didn't orginally ask for the data NAK the
incoming stream then they'll get kicked out of the IGMP group, further the
requesting end point will be confused by the fact that the traffic is
coming in as multi-cast.  You could put up some fake hosts that will take
any multi-cast data, but they'd be pretty easy to spot over time and making
all of your home gateways accept multi-cast traffic they didn't ask for
would be a bad thing (think trivial DDoS of your system).

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum
(678) 507-5000