DOCSIS 3.0 and Multicast

Phil Bedard bedard.phil at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 15:34:29 UTC 2013

I would take a look at the presentation in the other post, there are
multitude of ways it can be accomplished and some of those are spelled out
in the DOCSIS 3.0 specs.

Like the other poster said, HFC architectures are very centralized and
controlled at the head-end and the components in the field such as the
fiber node and even the CM are not active in making decisions about where
traffic goes, they just receive what has been sent to them and pass it
along.  Ultimately any multicast streams will go to a set-top box (or some
other video device) and in the case of dynamic multicast it would be the
STB generating the IGMP joins.

But to answer your question, the answer is yes, the same stream can be
sent to two different receivers in the same service group.  By the time it
gets to the fiber node, it's just RF and if the CM is tuned to the right
frequencies, either a specific one for video, or a shared one, it can be
used.

Most providers aren't doing IP video over DOCSIS, they are still using QAM
based delivery via dedicated video spectrum.

Phil