Meraki

Ray Soucy rps at maine.edu
Tue Nov 26 13:44:14 UTC 2013

Can confirm the current ER Lite is a plastic enclosure.
But for $ 100 I can definitely look past that.

Also, most of the UBNT distributers seem to be very knowledgeable about the
product line, so I'm sure they would know if you asked them :-)

We've been running XORP internally for about 100+ CPE devices (actually the
ones we were looking at Vyatta as a replacement for).  In the end I think
that moving to Quagga was a good thing for Vyatta as XORP doesn't have a
very active developer community. XORP releases since 1.6 have been a forked
code base that eventually became XORP 1.8.  It's very touchy, and requires
quite a bit of operational experience to know what will cause it to crash
and what won't.  The big thing you get with XORP that you don't with Quagga
is multicast routing, and a more active community.  I've been really
interested in BIRD [0] as well, but haven't had a chance to try it out.

Back to UBNT, though.  The ER makes use of a lot of non-free code (not so
great), but it's to facilitate hardware acceleration (very nice).  A lot of
functionality for IPv4 and IPv6 are both implemented in hardware, including
not just forwarding and NAT, but also regex matching for DPI.  It's how
they can get so much PPS for such a modest piece of hardware.  I believe
the chips they use are from Cavium [1], but I could be mistaken.

[0]. http://bird.network.cz/
[1]. http://www.cavium.com/

--
Ray Patrick Soucy
Network Engineer

T: 207-561-3526
F: 207-561-3531

MaineREN, Maine's Research and Education Network
www.maineren.net