BGP neighbor/configuration testing

John Stuppi (jstuppi) jstuppi at cisco.com
Mon Nov 25 19:00:53 UTC 2013

Here are a couple of examples of syslog messages that could be seen depending on the configuration of the MD5 passwords on each side:

Troubleshooting Examples

If BGP neighbor authentication is incorrectly configured (for example, it is either configured on only one peer or the MD5 shared secret (password) does not match on both peers), the following types of syslog messages will be generated:

No Password Set on Remote Peer

    Dec 3 15:01:52: %TCP-6-BADAUTH:
    No MD5 digest from 192.0.2.2(179) to 192.0.2.1(51954)

Incorrect Password Set on Remote Peer

    Dec 3 15:01:57: %TCP-6-BADAUTH:
    Invalid MD5 digest from 192.0.2.2(22285) to 192.0.2.1(179)

Thanks,
John

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone."

John Stuppi, CISSP
Technical Leader
Strategic Security Research
jstuppi at cisco.com