Meraki

Ray Soucy rps at maine.edu
Mon Nov 25 14:32:10 UTC 2013

It looks like Brocade has swapped out Quagga with IP Infusion's non-free
version, ZebOS.  They also decided to abandon the FOSS Vyatta Core project.

It's really unfortunate, as the FOSS project is the only reason I was
interested in paying the licensing.  It was attractive to have Vyatta Core
as a no-cost option for small things, and the subscription edition for
higher visibility devices.  Now that they've moved away from having any
FOSS project, I'm not really inclined to invest in the product, I'm sure
there are others who feel the same way.

There is a group of people who were active in the Vyatta community trying
to get a fork of it going under the name VyOS, http://www.vyos.net/

As far as Ubiquiti, it looks like about 2 years ago they actually hired a
few people from Vyatta, Inc. to work on EdgeOS.  So development of EdgeOS
has continued [and likely will continue] independently, though it looks
like at least a few people from UBNT are interested in seeing VyOS happen
and participating on their own time.  I know one of the early goals for
VyOS is to get the documentation up on their Wiki and have a release of the
current Vyatta Core with the name swapped out as a starting point.

I really hope the VyOS project can get off the ground.  If any developers
familiar with maintaining Debian-based distributions are on-list, I know
the project is looking for people to help.

--
Ray Patrick Soucy
Network Engineer

T: 207-561-3526
F: 207-561-3531

MaineREN, Maine's Research and Education Network
www.maineren.net