AT&T UVERSE Native IPv6, a HOWTO

Brzozowski, John John_Brzozowski at Cable.Comcast.com
Mon Nov 25 13:52:26 UTC 2013

Andrew,

Question is this native or 6rd?  According to my ARIN WHOIS query it looks
like 6rd.

Definitely great news that you were able to acquire IPv6.

John

Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 01:22:02 -0500
From: Andrew D Kirch <trelane at trelane.net>
To: nanog at nanog.org
Subject: AT&T UVERSE Native IPv6, a HOWTO

Special thanks to Alexander from AT&T's "Tier-2" dept, though my
suspicion is that that is not where he works, as he seems exceptionally
clueful.
Additional thanks to Owen DeLong who finally got me off my ass to
actually do this, I'll see you in the sky!

Ok, is this core routing? not really, but it's nice to see a major clue
injection over at AT&T Uverse.  I'm using this to document the MASSIVE
bureaucratic PITA which is getting native IPv6 on uverse.  You'll start
from the default service on a 2wire "modem" (for values of modem that
equate to profanity).  If you have the Motorola NVG589, count yourself
lucky and skip most of these steps.

  Abandon all hope ye who enter here....

Step 1: contact AT&T Uverse support and complain that you need IPv6
(because we all need it, I in fact do for work).
Step 2: general confusion as the level 1 droid doesn't know what IPv6
is, politely request to be transferred to tier 2
step 3: you will be told that tier 2 is a paid service, invoke the
almighty FCC and ask to speak with a supervisor, expect a long hold here.
step 4: you arrive at tier 2, mention that IPv6 won't work on your 2wire
and that AT&T has broken your protocol 41 tunnel with <insert tunnel
broker here, usually HE>
step 5: you'll need to get your 2wire replaced with a Motorola NVG589.
Again you will be threatened with a cost to upgrade, mine was waived due
to the work requirement.  I'd guess some additional complaining and
escalation will get this fee waived.  My recollection was it was $100.
The new modem is good news for quite a few reasons, the 2wire sucks, the
Motorola sucks significantly less, and has a built in battery backup,
but mine lacked the battery.
step 6: you'll receive the motorola by mail, or have a tech install it,
they actually had a tech in my area and I had an AT&T tech at my door in
less than 20 minutes from when I got off the phone with tier-2 (I about
died from the shock).
step 7: configure the motorola (192.168.1.254) for passthrough,
DHCPS-dynamic, disable the firewall, the "advanced" firewall, hpna,
wireless, etc.
Step 8: reboot to push the public IP to your real router.
step 9: head over to the Motorola's home network tab, and in the status
window you'll see:

    IPv6

Status 	Available
Global IPv6 Address 	2602:306:cddd:xxxx::1/64
Link-local IPv6 Address 	fe80::923e:abff:xxxx:7e40
Router Advertisement Prefix 	2602:306:cddd:xxxx::/64
IPV6 Delegated LAN Prefix 	2602:306:cddd:xxxx::
2602:306:cddd:xxxx::

In reality additional poking leads me to believe AT&T gives you a rather
generous /60, but how to use it?
step 10: set up dhcpv6, example for mikrotik follows (but should be
easily convertible to nearly any router):

/ipv6> export
# dec/31/2001 20:26:03 by RouterOS 6.6
# software id = 5F2Y-X73L
#
/ipv6 address
add address=2602:306:cddd:xxxx::1 from-pool=AT&T interface=bridge1
/ipv6 dhcp-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=ether10 pool-name=AT&T

I hope that this is of help to someone.

Andrew

John Jason Brzozowski
Comcast Cable