NAT64 and matching identities

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Sat Nov 23 19:22:10 UTC 2013

So it turns out that in many cases a missing www is causing the "no IPv4"
response, and someone from Alexa does need to explain what is going on. For
the entire top-1m.csv file, 35,554 entries returned "no IPv4". For each
entry in the csv file;
some return NXDOMAIN:
discart.ru  -->  NXDOMAIN
     www.discart.ru resolves, but Alexa file missing www.
     Alexa position:            4721,discart.ru

some return without any answer:
bp.blogspot.com  --> No Answer
     www.bp.blogspot.com resolves, but Alexa file missing www.
     Alexa position:            87,bp.blogspot.com

while others point to MX-only entries:
akamaihd.net  -->  MX-only
     www.akamaihd.net resolves, but Alexa file missing www.
     Alexa position:            74,akamaihd.net

The version of the code I have been using strips the www. and tries again,
but obviously it also needs to add the www. and retry. In any case, the
Alexa file points to names that do not serve web content, so the entire 'top
1M' list is suspect.

Tony