Meraki

Ray Soucy rps at maine.edu
Fri Nov 22 12:35:06 UTC 2013

FWIW, I picked up a UniFi 3-pack of APs and built up a controller VM using
Ubuntu Server LTS and the beta multi-site controller code over the past
week.

I'm very impressed so far, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of
Cisco setup, sure, but I'm pretty shocked at the level of functionality
here and the ease of having APs use an off-site controller (they all phone
home over TCP so no VPN or port forwarding is required).

I'm interested in UniFi mainly for remote Libraries that don't have any IT
staff but need a little more than a router from Best Buy.

Also of interest is the EdgeMAX line.  I also got the EdgeRouter LITE for
testing this past week after finding out it runs a fork of Vyatta (EdgeOS)
and is developed by former Vyatta employees.  For a sub- $100 device ...
very impressive.

Pricing just popped up for the new EdgeRouter PRO last night and I was
pretty blown away:

$360

For a device with 2 SFP ports, and 2M PPS.  That is music to my ears since
we do a lot of dark fiber around the state even for smaller locations.  I'm
pretty excited to get one of these and see how they perform.

I wish I would have bothered looking at Ubiquiti sooner, really.  I'm a
little embarrassed to admit I initially wrote them off because the prices
were so low, but the more I look into these guys the more I like them.

I feel like I'm at the risk for becoming a UBNT fanboy.  Does anyone have
any qualified horror stories about EdgeMAX or UniFi?  Everything I've been
able to find has been for nonsense configurations like complaining about
trying to to OSPF over WiFi ... Who does that?

--
Ray Patrick Soucy
Network Engineer

T: 207-561-3526
F: 207-561-3531

MaineREN, Maine's Research and Education Network
www.maineren.net