Meraki

William Waites wwaites at tardis.ed.ac.uk
Wed Nov 20 20:08:32 UTC 2013

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 14:08:53 -0500, Ray Soucy <rps at maine.edu> said:

    > I'm very interested in other user experiences with Ubiquity for
    > smaller deployments vs. traditional Cisco APs and WLC.
    > Especially for a collection of rural areas.  The price point and
    > software controller are very attractive.

I've never used the software controller but we use a lot of Ubiquiti
kit in rural Scotland. We use it mostly in transparent bridge mode
with more capable routers speaking ethernet - FreeBSD on Soekris boards
and Mikrotik mostly. In general the RF part is great, but the software
part is buggy. We have been extensively bitten by transparent bridge
not being transparent enough and eating multicast packets which of
course completely hoses OSPF. Using NBMA and being very careful about
which firmware version mostly works. Don't try to make them do
anything sophisticated.

-w
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.