Question on routing of Tata AS6453 with their other network AS4755

Michael Smith mksmith at mac.com
Sun Nov 17 17:46:20 UTC 2013

On Nov 16, 2013, at 11:49 AM, Anurag Bhatia <me at anuragbhatia.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone
>

> I was looking around and noticed a pretty bad route from DTAG to Tata
> AS6453 (basically destination was Tata Comm's Indian network on AS4755). I
> am not able to understand cause for inefficient routing but I am sure I am
> failing to understand something which is crazy in their IGP. The result is
> that route from Europe to India is via Europe > US > Singapore > India
> rather then direct India.

<snip>

I think you'll find that these decisions are intentional and driven by the cost of routes headed direct over land from EU to India.  Ask Tata for a price quote for transit internet services in the EU and, separately, for transit internet in the EU that go direct from EU to India.  They are not the same price.

Regards,

Mike