List of CDNs?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Sat Nov 16 22:25:18 UTC 2013

On Nov 14, 2013, at 17:25 , Carlos Kamtha <kamtha at ak-labs.net> wrote:

> The goal is to find a solution to optimize the path for DNS queries that traverse via CDNs within certain regions
> without the luxury of a network layer.
>
> For instance, some clients in singapore are getting answers from the UK instead of something more local.
>
> Knowing where the CDNs are may allow us to direct them to a more optimal path.

Depends on the CDN. Using Akamai as an example (since they are essentially as big as all other CDNs combined, and 'cause I know them best), the location of an Akamai web server is not useful since everything is based on name servers. Also, the location of Akamai's name server and the topological path used to reach it is irrelevant to the web server returned. So getting a list of nodes and somehow modifying your network based on that will likely have minimal to zero impact.

Other CDNs use different methods of mapping end users to web servers. Some use anycast, either at the DNS level or even at the HTTP level. In those cases, this information may be of use.

If you have a problem with Akamai mapping, you can always email NetSupport-tix at akamai.com and ask them for help. My guess is other CDNs have something similar. Probably much more useful to go directly to the CDN with the problem than look at a 3rd party list of nodes and try to fix issues yourself with methods that may have no effect.

Or not. :) Your network, your decision, I'm just making suggestions.

--
TTFN,
patrick