Best band for your buck router and switch (gigabit)

Jason Antman jason at jasonantman.com
Sat Nov 16 17:15:20 UTC 2013

If you're going to consider Mikrotik, I'd also highly recommend that you
look into Vyatta (www.vyatta.com). They offer (well, or did last time I
looked, they seem to be increasingly commercial every time I visit their
site) fully supported software as well as software-on-vendor-hardware
solutions, plus an open source "core" offering. I've never done BGP on
them, but I've used them as edge routers/firewalls for smallish internal
networks as well as IPSEC endpoints, and their performance on modern
server-grade hardware (i.e. the type of stuff lying around in many
shops) is mind-boggling.

Post Script: I just went to vyatta.com, and apparently they've been
acquired by Brocade. The former content of their web site is gone, and
as far as I can tell from the Brocade site
(http://www.brocade.com/products/all/network-functions-virtualization/index.page)
they *seem* to be calling the software solution the "Brocade Vyatta 5400
vRouter". I assume this means their range of supported hardware devices
may be done for. Luckily I kept an archive of all of their wonderful
anti-cisco ads...

-Jason