OT: Below grade fiber interconnect points

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Nov 15 22:26:04 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Michael Sinatra" <michael at rancid.berkeley.edu>

> On 11/15/13 13:25, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> > You seem to be taking this awfully personally, though, Mike; did you
> > *set* the policies and procedures I'm scoffing at?
>
> I am NOT TAKING IT PERSONALLY DAMMIT!!!

Well, jeez, Loueeze... :-)

> Okay, now being serious (note clever way of avoiding using emoticons
> while pointing out that I _wasn't_ being serious above), I wasn't
> involved in the decision process and didn't have much say in why things
> were done. If it looked like I was taking it personally, that was only
> because of the bald-faced, yet hidden accusation of my being wordy,
> which I categorically resemble.

Which category?

> Okay, now I will really be serious. For the stuff that they did, and
> still do, the CEVs _did_ (and do) work. The user interface is a bit
> more challenging that a regular building. My understanding is that this
> got us out of a lot of political battles, but I was not privy to those
> conversations. I think, however, that it may have something to do with
> what Roy is going through at UM, especially as he noted that the
> decision appeared to have been made at higher levels. In this case,
> management did something that's not totally wrong, IMO.

Yeah; I get what you're saying; layers 9 and 10 often overrule layer 8
(that's money, lawyers, and people, respectively :-).  I just can't help
but think that the CBA is *really* lopsided against CEVs in nearly every
circumstance; the "wink wink nudge nudge" approach to keeping departments
out of your damn rack room seems the largest weighted item on the list.

Cheers,
-- jra