Automatic abuse reports

Paul Bennett paul.w.bennett at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 10:48:26 UTC 2013

I can't speak directly for them, as I'm not an official company
spokesperson, but this conversation has got my dander up enough that I
can't keep my big mouth shut.

I know of at least one 500 pound gorilla (with zillions of retail
customers, and their share of 500 pound gorillas as customers (and
everything in between)) that has a working and effective abuse@
address, one that can and does aggregate and pass on abuse complaints,
and that can and does suspend service over failure to fix. On
occasion, I understand even significant customers have been not just
suspended but terminated over failure to follow the ToS/AUP.

The company in question accepts abuse complaints in ARF, MARF, X-ARF
and IODEF format, among others, and (I cannot emphasize this enough)
does act on them.

Anyone who suggests roundfiling abuse@ complaints is (IMNSHO) actively
working to make the problem worse, not better. Anyone who thinks that
all networks do roundfile abuse@ complaints would seem to be making an
over-generalization.

Note, once again, that these are my opinions, and not my employers',
so much so that I can't even tell you directly who my employer is. Not
that it's hard to find out, but I'm so very much not speaking in an
official capacity here.

--
Paul