Email Server and DNS

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Nov 8 13:37:32 UTC 2013

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 11:39 AM,  <rwebb at ropeguru.com> wrote:
> I am looking for some info on current practice for an email server and SMTP
> delivery. It has been a while since I have had to setup an email server and
> I have been tasked with setting up a small one for a friend. My question
> centers around the server sending outgoing email and the current practices
> requirements for other servers to accept email Things like rDNS, SPF
> records, etc...

Hi Robert,

Current best practices are: don't run your own email server unless
you're willing to spend the ongoing time and effort it takes to keep
up with the current solutions to the spam, hacking and abuse problems.
Corollary: when you get bored of doing so for a tiny mail server, stop
running it and buy a service.

Other than that, the _changes_ of note in the last decade are:

1. The blacklist aggregators and IP reputation services have changed
so you have to find the new ones,
2. There are email whitelist services now, some free others for a
nominal cost. Use them.
3. Phishing and spear phishing are relatively sophisticated now, so
your spam solution has to deal reasonably with it.
4. Relay from and to an external address without changing the envelope
sender no longer functions reliably due to things like SPF enforcement
and no mail servers I've noticed have such a translator built in.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004