Do you obfuscate email headers when reporting spam issues to clients?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Nov 6 21:45:31 UTC 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Landon <landonstewart at gmail.com> wrote:
> We (iWeb AS32613) are currently making great strides in getting out from
> under the volume of reports received and getting on top of things.

Incidentally, I'd suggest that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound
of cure. Simply block outbound tcp port 25 for new hosting customers
on a "tell me if you want it open" basis. Don't make 'em jump through
hoops: if they want it open, open it. But for everybody who doesn't
tell you they want it open, keep it closed. Then analyze your data
traffic for a month or two and close the port on any old customers
that haven't sent any email.

By doing so, you restrict the potential source of the problem to just
those customers who intentionally generate email from their hosted
service. Non-email using customers who get hit with worms and spambots
will bounce off your shield. Also, you force spammers to bring
themselves to your notice before they can send any mail -- something
they're disinclined to do.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004