latest Snowden docs show NSA intercepts all Google and Yahoo DC-to-DC traffic

Anthony Junk anthonyrjunk at gmail.com
Fri Nov 1 04:43:58 UTC 2013

Hey expanoit,

There was a small part that jumped out at me when I read the article
earlier:

"In recent years, both of them are said to have bought
or leased thousands of miles of fiber-optic cables for their own exclusive
use. They had reason to think, insiders said, that their private, internal
networks were safe from prying eyes."

It seems as if both Yahoo and Google assumed that since they were private
circuits that they didn't have to encrypt. This would've added cost in
engineering, hardware, and in the end, overall throughput; I would assume
they saw it as a low possibility that anyone would (a) have knowledge of
the their traffic inter-site and (b) would have the ability to not only
accomplish the task but not get caught as well.

This is just my take on the situation and I'm sure there are others more
experienced that could offer a more detailed perspective with much less
speculation. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Anthony R Junk
Network Engineer