Headscratcher of the week

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Fri May 31 22:39:52 UTC 2013

OK, here's a wild guess from left-field.  Well, at least from left-field
where I made at least one game-saving catch :)

We had a similar case some years back, but it was a ramp-up in overall
traffic we were looking at.  If you're looking at latency, it could be
related to traffic (do you have traffic graphs?).

One particular user that was accustomed to Windows and trying to get
started with Linux was "playing games" with our NAT firewall.  Rather
than file a request with us for a static NAT and firewall openings for
their "new" Linux server, they discovered that as long as they generated
some internet traffic periodically, they could defeat the NAT
translation timeout, and essentially keep a static outside IP.

Problem was, they "crontab"ed a "ping" of an outside server to run once
a minute.  Just a "ping x.x.x.x".

Windows as we know defaults to only ping 4 times then quit.

Linux does not :)

So you might look for some "recurring scheduled event" on the customer's
end that might be cumulative rather than simply recurring.

Jeff